History of the General Conference of Grand Chapters, H.R.A.M., U.S.A. & Bahamas, PHA
On August 17 & 19, 1958, in Chicago, Illinois, (during the convening of the Imperial Council of the A.E.A.O.N.M.S., Booker T. Alexander, Imperial Potentate) the International Conference of Holy Royal Arch Masons for the United States and Dominion of Canada met for its Annual Meeting and for the purpose of changing the organization’s name to the General Conference of Grand Chapters, Holy Royal Arch Masons PHA with Sanford McKinney, MI, presiding as President.
The International Conference of Holy Royal Arch Masons for the United States and Dominion of Canada was organized in Washington, D.C. in the year 1913 and the presiding officer was the President. Past Presidents were the following: J.A. Wheatley, KY; J.S. Stanback, SC; Henry N. Gregory, NY; and President since 1946, Sanford McKinney, MI.
There were preliminary meetings on May 12, 1957, and August 18, 1957 to discuss the formation of the General Conference and pertinent matters or issues relating to the National Bodies. Sparksman Dorsey, PA, Most Eminent Grand Master of the Grand Encampment, William T. Brister, Past Most Eminent Grand Master of the Grand Encampment and L. Harold Gray, Right Eminent Grand Generalissimo of the Grand Encampment and 2nd Vice President of the International Conference; and other national & state dignitaries, male and female, were present at these meetings.
On August 17, 1958, after the Constitution and By-laws of the General Conference were approved, L. Harold Gray, PA was elected General Grand High Priest. On August 19, 1958, the General Conference resumed with a meeting which concluded the Conference.
International Conference of Holy Royal Arch Masons and Dominion of Canada Elected Officers as of August 17, 1958:
• Sanford McKinney, MI, President
• J.E. Anderson, TX, First Vice President
• L. Harold Gray, PA, Second Vice President
• Fred Alexander, FL, Third Vice President
• Stephen A. May, MO, Treasurer
• Edward E. Crawford, TN, Secretary
• Rev. John Whitmore, OK, Chaplain
First Elected Officers of the General Conference of Grand Chapters, Holy Royal Arch Masons, PHA, U.S.A. as of August 17, 1958:
• L. Harold Gray, PA, General Grand High Priest
• J.E. Anderson, TX, Deputy General Grand High Priest
• Fred Alexander, FL, General Grand King
• Walter St. Cye, MI, General Grand Scribe
• Stephen A. May, MO, General Grand Treasurer
• Edward E. Crawford, TN, General Grand Secretary
• Charles Sowell, NJ, General Grand Chaplain